Today’s meal is…
- Japanese Fried Shrimps (Ebifurai)
- Miso soup of potato and onion
- Pickled vegetables
A dish made by frying prawns in a large amount of cooking oil using the cutlet technique and is often served with cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes and other vegetables. It is often served with tonkatsu sauce, chunky sauce, lemon juice, lemon juice, tartar sauce, soy sauce and tomato ketchup.
◆Amount for 2 people
◆Cooking time 45 min
- kitchen knife
- chopping board
- Tempura pan 1.5L
▽Japanese Fried Shrimps (Ebifurai) ingredients
- Eight shrimps
- 1 tablespoon of cooking liquor
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of potato starch
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Bread crumbs to the right
- Amount of oil for frying
▽Vegetable side dishes ingredients
- Cabbage, as much as you like
- Cucumber, as much as you like
- 6 cherry tomatoes
▽Tartar sauce ingredients
- 1 egg
- 1/4 of an onion
- Pickles 30g
- 4-5 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of salt
- A little pepper
- 1 teaspoon of pickle liquid
- A small amount of parsley
▽Japanese Fried Shrimps (Ebifurai) Procedure
- Peel the shrimp all the way off, leaving only one section of the tail shell. Once the dorsal guts are removed, cut off the sharp part of the tail and squish out the water inside.
- Add #1 shrimp, cooking wine, salt, and potato starch to a bowl and rub further to absorb the dirt. Wash and pat dry well with kitchen paper.
- Make 5 to 6 cuts (about 2 to 3 mm deep) in the ventral side of the shrimp. Place the shrimp on a cutting board with the ventral side down and push it from the dorsal side (you can hear a buzzing sound).
- Make a batter by mixing the egg, water and flour; lightly salt and pepper the prawns and dip them in the batter liquid, then dip them in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the prawns in oil at 170°C for 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the temperature rise.
- Slice the cabbage for the side dish and the cucumbers into thin strips. Cut the tomatoes into wedges. 7.
- Arrange the vegetables from #6 in a bowl and serve with the fried shrimp standing up. Garnish with the tartar sauce made in the “Tartar Sauce Procedure”.
▽Tartar sauce Procedure
- Boil the eggs.
- Chop the onion, soak it in water for 15 minutes and squeeze it.
- Cut the pickles into chunks. Finely chop the parsley.
- Coarsely chop the #1 boiled egg in a bowl; add the #2 onion, #3 pickle and parsley, and other seasonings then mix well.
▼TIPS for making good Japanese Fried Shrimps (Ebifurai)▼
Batter is a mixture of eggs, flour and water. Frying with this batter is the best way to make it tasty. Normally, when we think of frying, we put flour, egg, and bread crumbs in that order, but this batter will make the food taste as good as it does in a restaurant.
Why is that? The reason for the batter is that the breadcrumbs are thicker and more firm, making them crispier. Also, the batter is thicker, so it cooks more slowly and the shrimp inside stays juicy. This technique can also be applied to Tonkatsu (Breaded Pork Cutlet).
Here’s our other Fried recipes!!