How to cook Japanese Fried Chicken (Karaage)
Today’s meal is…
- Miso soup with asparagus and bacon
- Japanese Fried chicken
- Cucumber and bean sprout with Chinese salad
Fried Chicken (Karaage) is the practice of frying foods in hot oil without a batter, with only a thin layer of flour or potato starch sprinkled on top.
◆Amount for 2 people
◆Cooking time 30 min
- kitchen knife
- chopping board
- frying pan
- cooking sheet
▽Japanese Fried Chicken (Karaage) ingredients
- 350g chicken thigh
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of liquor
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of potato starch
- 2 tablespoons light flour
- Amount of oil for frying
- Lettuce, your choice.
- 1/4 of a lemon
▽Japanese Fried Chicken (Karaage) Procedure
- remove the muscle, cartilage and excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut them into bite size pieces.
- put the #1 chicken in a bowl, add the dark soy sauce and sake, rub it in and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- discard about 10% of the marinade from #2, add the potato starch and light starch combined and mix well.
- turn the oil to 160°C to 165°C, quickly add the chicken in 3 and fry slowly for 4 to 5 minutes.
- place on the cooking sheet and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- raise the oil temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and fry the chicken again for 1-2 minutes.
▼TIPS for making Fried Chicken well▼
(1) Chicken thighs, not chicken shanks, for a juicy finish!
(2) Leave some of the marinade in the sauce and dust the batter with potato starch to give it some flavor.
(3) Set the oil temperature at 160-165 degrees Celsius, let it rest for a while, and fry again at high temperature.
Here’s our all Meat Dishes!!