How to cook Simmered Meat and Bean Curd (Nikudoufu)
Today’s meal is…
- Simmered Meat and bean curd (Nikudoufu)
- Miso soup with shredded vegetables
- Pickled turnip
Nikudoufu is a stew dish of meat and bean curd with scallions, shirataki and other ingredients seasoned with sugar and soy sauce.
◆Amount for 3 to 4 people
◆Cooking time 40 min
- Kitchen knife
- Chopping board
▽Simmered Meat and Bean Curd (Nikudoufu) ingredients
- Thinly sliced beef 300g
- 1 piece of Momen tofu (bean curd)
- 1 leek
- 1 package of shimeji mushrooms
- 1/3 bunch of spinach
- 600ml of broth
- Dark soy sauce 100ml
- Cooking Sake 80ml
- Mirin 60ml
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Soft-boiled egg, optional
- Shichimi pepper to taste
▽Simmered Meat and Bean Curd (Nikudoufu) Procedure
- Cut the beef slices into 5 to 6 cm lengths. Cut tofu into 8 equal pieces. Cut green onions into 4-5 cm lengths and remove stones from shimeji mushrooms and divide into small bunches.
- Place the bean curd on a sheet of kitchen paper and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to drain.
- Heat the salad oil in a pan or frying pan and add the #1 beef and leeks. The beef should be about 70% cooked; remove the beef from the pan at this point.
- Add all of the “A ingredients” to #3 pot, then add the drained tofu and shimeji mushrooms from #2 and the green onions from #3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, cover with a drop-lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the removed beef to #4 and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Boil the spinach, squeeze out the salt and cut it into 3 cm lengths.
▼TIPS for making good Simmered Meat and Bean Curd (Nikudoufu)▼
(1) Don’t cook the beef for too long!
When you simmer it for a long time, it becomes hard, so take it out and put it back in at the end.
(2) The flavor of the stew will soak in when it cools down!
Basically, the taste of stewed food is absorbed when it cools down, so cool it down once you make it.
If you don’t have time to spare, do (1), the meat won’t get hard, so it will be delicious!
(3) Use the lid!
Cover with a drop-lid and simmer it so that the liquid is spread all over.
Here’s our other Stewed dishes recipes!!